Monday, June 29, 2009

When I'm 94?


In a few months I will be ninety-four years of age. No wonder I have been thinking about how long I want to live.

Thoughts like that sneak up on you. When I "retired" from my career (I have had three more careers since then), it felt like playing tennis with the net down. For the first time in my life there were no expectations of me. No one could fire me, flunk me or flay me. But now that I am in the nineties, there isn't even a net. What's different now is that all previous decades had a purpose and a destination. The twenties were for completing education (Master Degree), starting a career, falling in love and getting married. .

The thirties were for raising children and getting ahead in work. The forties and fifties were the time to consolidate gains and accomplishments, as well as to find new purposes so that the years ahead would not grow stale. The sixties were for final spurts and then winding down and wrapping up a career.

More Later, Joe


No comments:

Post a Comment